The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Friday, July 20, 2007

Tuesday 7/17/07 - Day 2 of the Excursion
This morning our Prof asked us if we wanted to walk to Dove Cottage (William Woodsworth’s house in Grasmere) or if we wanted to take the bus. He explained it was just a 3 mile walk up the road, so feeling adventurous, we chose to walk. Unfortunately there was some miscommunication regarding what time we were leaving, and as a result, I was running late (see post above) and Ashley opted to stay behind with me; assuming we would catch up to the group.

Well, we should’ve known it was going to be a long walk when we stepped outside and it was already raining. However, we toughed it out and walked on. (Now, if any of you know me, you will probably be surprised by this, considering I HATE being out in the rain. I told you, I was feeling adventurous today). Our “walk” went something like this:

As we stepped out from our hostel,
we walked around the Lake of Wonder,
through the glistening fields of enlightenment,
and over the bridge of troubled waters.

We strolled alongside the quaint cottages
And into the yakity Yorkers—
After mocking us, and praising their map,
They sent us after the porkers.

Walking along the Rothey River
Serenading the Sweds and the cows we passed by.
Hopping across the sprouting stepping stones,
I wondered, why, WHY WHY?

Then we turned and up the mountain we went
Across the grades and against the streams
Thinking “My legs better look hot after this”
It was definitely not the Orange County scene.

The beauty of Meady Lake took my breath away
Well, it was that or Ashley climbing the rocks of insanity
Over the bubbling brooks and up the gentle streams
We tried and tried to keep our spirits high and not utter a profanity.

Up the Mountainside and past Ryder Cave
We took the road less traveled by and somehow found our way.
The beaches of Lake Grasmere were different from our home
But the water is cold, we are sure, like the San Fransisco Bay.

Viewing Grasmere in the distance was motivation to keep on
However, if we only knew how long it would take
We would have jumped in and swam across
Ok ok, I was only kidding for goodness sakes.

Along the water and through the woods
Passing the ‘baa-ing’ sheep we kept trudging on
With hopes of making it there for lunch
3 hours has gone by—what took us so long?

Another ½ mile and we spot the church
Alleluiah! We’ve made it at last.
Now to find Woodsworth. his inspiration
Beauty in the present, as he described in the past.


Ok so it’s a dorky poem/story/whateve but it is what it is. After Woodsworths we realized that the group that left us still wasn’t there. Come to find out that they got lost on a mountainside, and we were the lucky ones! We then grabbed an amazing lunch at Williams Café and then went out on the lake (they one we knew so well from our hike) and Ashley rowed us around the island. Then back to Ambleside where the group went on a Ferry ride. Exhausted and beginning to feel the signs of sickness Anna Kim and I opted to take a nap; which was our best idea yet. After the nap we scaled the town and ended up at Pippins for dinner. After which I went by the lake and read my scriptures—what a fabulous way to end the day.





























P.S. Kelsie: I totally know its your birthday but we have NO internet access up here in the freaking boondocks and I don’t have your cell phone number with me…sorry I’m such a terrible friend but I LOVE you!

2 comments:

Mrs. Schmalison said...

I am soooo jealous of you!!! Those pictures are beautiful. I am going to have to live vicariously through you!! Mandi's home too! Come home soon! But enjoy it while you can.

Ryan and Kiley said...

schmally.
i will be home in 1 month. lets rendeouz with miss mandi ... swim party?