So my friends, The Rice's (Scott and Bev, and their fabulous kids Taylor and Lauren) are in town on family vacation and invited me to join them on Sunday. I jumped at the chance to feel at home with one of my favorite families from home. Luckily I woke up feeling much better.
Scott was brave and got a rental car, so they came to pick me up Sunday morning for church. We had an experience learning the streets to make it to church. Somehow we were late, but still made it in time for the opening Hymn (this was especially challenging to me being sick...) Anyway, church was great, quite the tourist ward, and much different from my own ward. I am glad I got the opportunity to go to this building. It is the Church Headquarters in London, and the building was quite unique. Taylor was impressed with the building when he recognized that President Hinckley rededicated the building in 1995.
After church we all got changed and prepped for the ride to the Temple. We had no idea how challenging finding the Temple would be. Even with Brooke (our hand held GPS guide) and an Atlas we were pretty sure we were lost and driving into the wrong countryside. After 1 1/2 hours of driving in the middle of no where we came to a round about with a steple behind it. We had arrived. Unfortunately the gates were locked so we ended up driving around (or trying to) to find another gate. It was at this point that a girl on a horse rode up next to us (when does that ever happen next to a temple?). Anyway, lucky for us I saw a random missionary on the grounds and got him to give me his keys and let us in.




Wow. I love the London Temple. Lauren and I decided on destination weddings just to get married in the London Temple. The grounds are amazing; like a park, with benches and dedicated trees and reflection pools. We even saw this cute duck couple napping by the pond. It was such a peaceful moment to walk the Temple grounds. I loved it.




After the Temple we headed to Dover. We had a little bit of a long drive so we told stories along the way. It was great. As we entered Dover I was stoked to see the ocean and the White Cliffs! After scaling the town for food we gave up and went to the white cliffs for the white cliffs walk. However, it took us longer than expected to get there so we ended up ditching the white cliffs for the castle (sorry the castle looked way cooler than a nature walk). We explored the castle practically alone, since it was the end of the day the place was pretty empty. It was awesome to explore and especially to go to the roof and look over the city. Ah what amazing views!!! Then we went and saw this amazing movie/experience in the Castle. Even after all the castles I've been to, this was quite unique. It was interactive and kinda creepy... but really cool. We learned about the seige on the castle in the 1200s. After exploring the castle we checked out the old Roman Lighthouse, which was the original building on this mountain. We also walked along the cliffs and took in the views of the ocean. It felt like home (well ok just a little).





Now onto Rye. Rye is a quaint sea side village, with some of the oldest buildings in England. Rye has been described as "The broche of England" which Bev repeatedly reminded us of as we walked the cobblestone streets and were in awe of the old buildings and redeeming quaintness of the city. I loved the Church, ok so more than the church I loved the Hickory Dickory Dock Clock! After enjoying the town we went to dinner at this fabulous little place. It was a restaraunt that remodeled an old Tudor home, and the design of the restaraunt was an old/new blend-- using the black and white qualities of the Tudor Architecture, and using only black and white modern decorative pieces inside. Oh, and the food was fabulous! Good choice Bev and Scott.





I had such an amazing day with the Rice's. They are such a wonderful family and I loved hanging out with them in London! Thanks for a FABULOUS day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment