Michigan Part II
Mackinac Island
Friday afternoon after working, we drove up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to Mackinac City, where we caught a ferry to Mackinac Island. I didn't know much about Mackinac Island, just what Ryan had told me and what I had heard from Nanie and Popsie (Popsie took Nan there many years ago, and Nan swears it's her favorite place on earth). I soon learned why.
 |
| One of the longest bridges in the world (or something like that) we traveled over it to catch the Ferry to Mackinac. |
 |
| First glimpse of the island and The Grand Hotel (Known from Somewhere in Time) |
 |
| Sun over the island. |
 |
| So festive and so cute. |
 |
| Sunset over the harbor. |
Mackinac Island is somewhat untouched from the rest of the world. No cars are allowed on the island -- people get around by Horse and Carriage and bikes. There are quaint B&B's in old historic houses, and the Grand Hotel, which boasts the largest porch in the world, also has an old-world charm. We enjoyed hikes, riding tandem around the island, lots of fudge, the butterfly house and escaping the hustle and bustle of city-life--however, my favorite part of the island was that the flowers were in full bloom: lilacs and peonies were everywhere and I stopped at every chance to "smell the roses" (or poenies in this case).
 |
| What our hike looked like -- most of it was on paved paths, but we definitely got lost at some point and were in the weeds! |
 |
| I love the wildflowers. |
 |
| Cool arch. |
 |
| Us in front of the arch ... "Can we get more arch in that picture?" |
 |
| Click on the photo to see it bigger. Gorgeous views of the water. |
 |
| Yes, this is how people get around. It's weird to wake up to the sound of clattering horse hooves at 6am. |
 |
| OMG. LOVE. |
 |
| The poppies were gorgeous too. |
 |
| I was in heaven right about now.... |
 |
| Beautiful butterflies. |
 |
| Ryan was lucky and got to make friends with one. |
 |
| Funny, right? |
 |
| Ah, the lilacs were amazing!! Going out for dinner. |
 |
| Dinner on the bay. Delicious and gorgeous. |
 |
| You guys, I am obsessed. |
 |
| The grand hotel |
 |
| Dahlia the size of my face. Seriously. |
 |
| Grand Hotel rules and regulations. You can't get into this place without wearing a dress after 6pm. That's why we went back the next day to sneak in (you typically have to pay $10 just to get inside the place). It was cool but not that cool. |
 |
| Yes, those are ALL peonie bushes in front of this gorgeous house overlooking Lake Michigan. |
 |
| Manicured lawns. I kind of miss those in Chicago. |
 |
| Us on the longest porch in the world! |
 |
| Our B&B - their gardens were so beautiful. |
 |
| Bike ride around the island. The views were like this the whole time! |
 |
| I loved riding tandem! We actually did this ride twice -- once on single bikes, then on tandem. So great both times! |
 |
| One more sniff before we left the island... |
I can't wait to go back to Mackinac Island! Looking at my photos, I am realizing they don't do this place justice-- you must go some time! It's absolutely stunning and a great chance to get away and enjoy the simple things in life. Like your amazing husband and beautiful flowers.
No comments:
Post a Comment