April Fools!
Seriously, that has been my life story for the last few
October 2010-
Out of no where I get this intense burning sensation from my lower back, through my leg to my foot. I stretch, take anti-inflammatory meds, massage it, heating pad, nothing works. It stays for 2 weeks straight.
I mention it to my mom, who thinks it might be my periformus muscle. She advises me to take a break from running to let it heal.
November 2010-
Pain is still there. Not as intense, but whenever I try to run, the pain returns.
I see my uncle, who is a chiropractor while I am in CA for Thanksgiving. He diagnosis it as a herniated disc. Yikes. But I don't really know what that means... so I don't see a doctor yet, but I decide to stop all cardio exercise.
January 2011-
Try to start exercising; core muscles and 10-20 minutes on the bike. At first, the bike doesn't bother it, but eventually it does. I try walking up 3 flights of stairs...the pain is back. Finally I go to the doctor (because I had a sinus infection, I also asked about my leg). He refers me to an orthopedic surgeon.
February 2011-
Orthopedic surgeon tells me I have a herniated disc and will need surgery if I want to get rid of the pain as soon as possible to get back to my active lifestyle. Seriously?! Herniated disc? I'm 25 how does this happen? I was totally freaked out.
March 2011-
MRI- I had to get an MRI! Those things are a LOT smaller in person than in movies. Seriously. I got a little claustrophobic but just closed my eyes and tried to take a nap.
Othorpedic Surgeon- Oh man let's not get into my doctor's visit, but I'll just tell you that I DO NOT need surgery. Instead of a herniated disc, I have 3 bulging discs; one of which is pressing on my siatic nerve, which is causing the pain down my leg.
So what does this all mean? Well,
#1: No Surgery
#2: Physical Therapy
#3: Chiropractor- I need one in Chicago
#4: Pain meds while I work through this
#5: I probably need to pay better attention to my posture while I sit all day and work from home.
#6: I'm totally going to start exercising again and losing the extra lbs I gained from being depressed about not exercising.


1 comment:
I had the exact same thing senior year, dr said surgery, i said no :)) i got steroid shots in my back and those helped a lot. I am now pain free most of the time, i just have a hard time bending over all the way. :)
Post a Comment