Operation Santa Clause.
Ryan and I went to the post office to mail presents to our families. We actually live by the downtown HUGE Post office, so I was excited to see some original Post Office pieces, and the place decorated for Christmas. I noticed when I walked to the service desk some table set up, with baskets labeled "7 children, 6 children, 5 children ... one boy, one girl". I was intrigued, so I walked over and found myself in the middle of the Chicago Letters to Santa Program.
![]() |
| Isn't this cool? |
![]() |
| Just some of my packages I was sending. |
Operation Santa Claus had its informal start during the 1920's when New York City postal employees pooled their own money to buy gifts for poor children whose letters to Santa ended up in the dead-letter box. As the number of letters grew, the public began to be involved in the effort and now there are chapters of Operation Santa Claus in many American cities and villages. Individuals, corporations and civic groups are encouraged to contact their local post office for letters or to write or call Operation Santa Claus in New York. This year in New York alone, the letters are expected to reach 750,000!
The Chicago Letters to Santa program began in the late 1960's under the direction of Postmaster Henry W. McGee. He encouraged postal employees to “adopt” children and families in need. As word spread, the program was opened up to the public. Many large companies come in and pick up hundreds of letters to distribute among their employees.
I remembered reading an article earlier this week about how the Post Office have received more letters than ever before to Santa, and they have fewer people answering the letters for Santa. I always love adopting a child for Christmas, so Ryan and I decided to choose a name. To my surprise, most of the letters were asking for Xbox 360, a Wii, iPod, Laptop computer, etc etc. Seriously, most of the letters were asking for these things. I found one letter, though, that was asking for clothes (A&F and Aeropostle)- she even drew pictures! So we decided to help this little girl. We couldn't make it to her stores of choice, but we made it over to American Eagle, which is hopefully a good enough substitute.
It was fun to shop for this sweet girl, and get in the Christmas spirit by thinking and doing something for others. Perhaps we will make this a Chicago Tradition!
![]() |
| I thought this guy was too cute. See the table in the background with the Letters to Santa? |



No comments:
Post a Comment