The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Friday, November 05, 2010

Remember Remember the 5th of November.

We had an annual tradition growing up of celebrating Guy Fawkes Day. Mostly, because our best friends, The Jackson's, are Brits and would throw a big party. I remember as a kid how cool it was that we would all get together on 11/5, hear the story of Guy Fawkes (British man found guilty of treason for attempting to blow up Parliament and kill King James in 1605), and then have a fireworks show. There was always lots of good food, games, and great friendships that were brought together in this celebration. Of course, hearing Uncle Robert tell his version of the Guy Fawkes story, and then lighting off enough fireworks to bring the cops to the party was by far the best part of these celebrations.

As far as I know, the Jackson's continue this tradition to this day, however, with a lot of us being spread out across the country, its just not the same not being all together for this holiday. The tradition runs strong in me, though, and the least I can do is blog about my memories of this great tradition.

When I was in England a few years ago, I got to go to The Tower of London, the castle where Guy Fawkes was tried and killed for treason. It was really cool to see the story come to life-- a story I have known as long as I can remember.

So, in case you don't know the story of Guy Fawkes, here is the famous poem that tells it best:
Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
...Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Happy Guy Fawkes Day!

1 comment:

M said...

That rocks.