The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Skagway

Our final Alaskan stop -- can you believe it? These cruises just go by so fast.

So, Skagway is an old gold-mining boom town. After the gold was found/not found it was basically abandoned. There are only 700 people who live there year-round! Its pretty crazy thousands of gold-hungry people flocked here in the late 1800's and climbed dangerous mountain ranges to get rich quick. Although, I do have to say, there is at least 1 person who struck it rich in AK-- Mr. Nordstrom. And I can personally say I am grateful for his find!!

Ryan and I went on an early morning run in Skagway as well. Although, we stuck to the city streets this time. It was SO WINDY and cold. I can't describe the wind to you in this place. It just about blew me over a few times.

We got stopped by the train




I love quiet streets in the morning.




We went on a walking tour of the town, highlighting all the hot spots. Somehow I got named tour guide . I'm not the best at reading a map, but it was fun to learn all the little details about this town that make it so cool.



While reading about the city tour, I read that there was a short 1/2 mile hike nearby to a lake. Everyone jumped on board to climb the mountainside, so off we went. Of course it was a much harder hike than we thought...but totally worth it.







I wish these pictures could do justice for how beautiful this lake is.




After the hike we headed back to the cruise ship to meet our bike tour guides. We were going on a bike ride through the rain forest. This has to be the coolest bike ride I have ever been on. We rode through what used to be a neighboring town to Skagway; but what has now turned into part of the rain forest.

Old cemetery for those who died in the white pass


Gorgeous Meadow






Family Photo:




What a great way to end our time in Alaska!!

No comments: