The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Friday, November 18, 2011

The Devil in the White City. 

I'm part of a book club and hosted it this month. We read The Devil in the White City-- a fantastic book about Chicago during the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. All the details leading up to the fair, during and after. It's amazing the things that took place that impacted our world and shaped America for what it is today. A number of inventions were presented at the fair that we still enjoy! A few I put on display for Book Club: Juicy Fruit, Aunt Jemima's Pancake Mix, Cracker Jack, Shredded Wheat Cereal, Quaker Oats and Brownies! Yes, Martha Palmer had the brownie created to put in boxed lunches at the Women's Exposition.

I was glad to hear my friends enjoyed the book-- even the crazy psycho path part that is weaved through the storyline. I think the most fascinating part of the book is that it is a non-fiction. There are quotes pulled from old journals, newspapers, etc.

If you are looking for a new book to read, consider this one. Perhaps I am partial to it because it's about my city, but I love it!

Or just wait and go see the movie in 2013 when Leo is done filming it.
Leo brooding over the movie.

2 comments:

Mrs. Robinson said...

Sounds like a great movie...then again, Leo has been putting out back to back to back amazing movies lately (in my opinion). Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

hahaha, don't you remember how in elementary school we always had to write short book reports.... look like the idea stuck with you :) I love it! Maybe i'll get back into reading some day.... sigh. It's not even Porter that prevents it, it's my own dang fault.