The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Go Green with ELLEN!


I knew the whole "going green" was a trendy these days, however, I did not realize the Celebrity endorsements that I would encounter so soon after I expressing my "going green" here on my blog. I'm glad to say I was a bit ahead of the curve, and decided to state my opinions before her "Go Green" rampage this week. I stopped to watch the episode because I like Cameron Diaz, who was Ellen's first guest. However, it wasn't long before I asked my roommate "Is this Ellen going "Green"? My roommate was had NO idea what I was even referring to (I'm still not sure why I even asked her, though it was a more speaking out loud thing, than it was expecting an answer from her). Cameron was there to talk about Shrek, her recent break up with Justin, as well as teach the audience simple ways to be more environmentally conscious (Such as, shutting off the water while brushing your teeth, and switching the light bulbs in your lamps) as well as endorsing her car of choice, the PRIUS (of course Ellen gave one away to a lucky audience member). Ellen has also gotten many other celebs to promote this "Go Green" Attitude, such as Lindsey Lohan, Carmen Electra, Marcia Cross (hmm... is this a coincidence they picked hot female celebs to promote going green?) If you would like to hear their tips, or perhaps, just like to see them, you can go to:


However, if you would like to know how you can be trendy and part of the green movement, here are some of Ellen's everyday tips:

ADJUST YOUR THERMOSTAT (I try to do this until my roommates turn it back down/up)
Moving your thermostat just 2 degrees lower in winter and 2 degrees higher in summer will not only lower your energy bill, but you could prevent about 500 lbs. of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere a year.
TURN OFF THE LIGHTS when you're done (ALWAYS do this)
Shutting the lights cuts carbon emissions by reducing electricity use. You can also install motion sensors to activate lights as needed. Dimmer switches use less electricity, and the light is often more flattering.
KEEP YOUR FRIDGE FULL to save energy (I don't have to worry about this with my roommate keeping 4 gallons of milk in the fridge, for herself alone).
A full refrigerator doesn't have to work as hard to stay cold. If you don't typically have much food in your fridge, fill it with jugs of water. The jugs will insulate the interior and help keep it cold.
USE YOUR MICROWAVE (hmm not so sure about this one).
It's 70% more efficient than a stovetop or oven.
USE SAFER CANDLES (good to know).
Candles made from soy or beeswax are nontoxic, biodegradable, and they burn longer than paraffin.
USE RECYCLED PAPER (I don't really like paper towels anyway).
Recycled paper uses 60% less energy to make than virgin paper. Each ton saves 7,000 gallons of water and 17 trees. Grab a dishtowel instead of paper towel when you dry your hands. Instead of paper towel, clean with rags or microfiber towels, which grip dust and bacteria and go in the laundry when you're done.
BUY A LAPTOP (Done. Love it.)
A desktop computer uses 50% more energy than a laptop.
DRIVE LESS (hmm Irvine is definitely not coducive for mass transit ... its built around the car).
Walk, bike, carpool or take mass transit more often. You'll save one pound of carbon dioxide for every mile you don't drive.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR (Maybe I need to take a class on caring for my car?)
Something as simple as making sure your tires are inflated properly, the air filter is clean and getting regular tune-ups will improve your gas mileage and help keep dangerous pollutants out of the air. Every gallon of gasoline saved keeps 20 lbs. of CO2 out of the air.
DON'T IDLE (good to know).
Shut down your engine. Idling for any length of time burns more gas than it takes to restart the car. You'll save more energy by turning the ignition off.
CONSIDER PURCHASING A HYBRID AUTOMOBILE (I AM considering it...)
Not only do the cars get better gas mileage, but they also produce less pollution -- about half that of a comparable vehicle with a gasoline engine.
EAT LOCALLY (Does anyone know where a good farmers market is?)
Produce travels 1,500 miles on average from farm to grocery, and much of the transport is powered by fossil-based fuels. Green markets, farm stands, and conscientious supermarkets offer locally grown produce. Buy it and you'll conserve fuel, reduce pollution, and get more flavor. Search localharvest.org by zip code for farmers' markets, greengrocers and food co-ops in your area.
When ordering take-out food, request no napkins or flatware.
USE A COFFEE MUG instead of the disposable coffee cups. (I LOVE mugs. done.)
Starbucks will even give you a 10 cent discount for using your own mug.
GET OUR KIDS OUTDOORS MORE (I LOVE to be outdoors!!)
The best way to protect our resources for the future is by helping children develop an appreciation for the outdoors.


To me, most of this is common sense, but clearly Americans have turned into an overconsuming population and don't know how to be efficient within their daily lives.

2 comments:

me :) said...

Why is ellen wearing those boots??

Ryan and Kiley said...

I don't know but they were the inspiration for posting the Ellen picture.