The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Friday, June 30, 2006

I'M SEEING SOMEONE
What is it about the opposite sex that they have to first of all, assume that you are interested in them, and secondly feel the need to express the fact that they are "seeing someone" else, and therefore could not possibly be interested in you. I have had this happen on more than 1 occasion, I'm afraid, and each time, being completely blown away by the audacity of the comment.
The first occurrence was quite comical. This boy had just moved into the area...he was one of those "I am tall, have sandy blonde hair, washboard abs, and a sweet and innocent I want you to think I am naive and from Utah" kind of look. He was at linger-longer (a post-3 hour long church, let's get these single kids some food so they will be social and maybe the guys will get the initiative to ask one of these girls out, type of thing) when he came up to me and struck up a conversation. He was cute so I relented, and before I knew it he had invited himself over to my house to watch the Olympics (Snowboarding was on that night and we all wanted to see the flying white sausage). He and his roommate, Sean (a blog for another time) came over and we all bonded while sporting our National pride as Shaun White took gold. Our friendship blossomed from there and I was excited to have new friends. Now, lets be honest. I thought this boy was attractive, seemed nice enough, however, had not considered dating him. One night he calls and invites me to go with him to a Lacross game (he played Lacross in college and was interested in getting back into it). I had nothing better to do, so I went. Assuming this was a group event, I was surprised when not even his roommate tagged along. To make a long story short, he treated the entire evening as a date, opening my doors, warming me with a blanket (it was February), buying desert, and even invited me to his house to watch a movie after. I was having an enjoyable time, and I'm not going to lie, was flirting a little and enjoying myself. After the movie we talked for a little while, and then he drove me home. He walked me to my door, said he had a great time, and gave me a big hug. I was thinking, wow, this night went so well, maybe he will ask me out again. However, mid-hug, he says, "Kiley, I have to tell you something". Immediately feeling amazingly awkward, I reply, "Oh my gosh, this is so awkward, what are you going to say?". He answers, "well I think you are such a great girl, but I have to tell you, I'm seeing someone. Caught off guard, all I can say is, "wow, neat, umm that's not exactly what I was going for here...I thought we were just friends". The awkwardness does not pass as we have a conversation about how, apparently, he is currently seeing someone, and how I just got out of a relationship and was not wanting to date, etc. I walk into my apartment and almost wake up my roommate to relay the story to her. I couldn't help but laugh. I wish I had been more prepared for the situation, because really I would have answered, "Really? You're seeing someone. Don't flatter yourself and think that I want to date you". Or something sassy and along those lines.
The Second experiance was months later. Different guy, different situation. The readers' digest of this boy was we went on a date (well really, it was one of those: I'm going to dinner with this guy but I don't think it's a date, but maybe it is, we'll have to see, types of things--girls know what i'm talking about. It ended up being a date). Then we were both out of town a lot, so we didn't get together again. 2 months later he invited me to dinner, but I had to help set up for a party, so he brought me dinner talked with me as I ate, the whole time we joked about how it was a date...Then, a few weeks after that, I recieve an email on MYSPACE which read, "I am sorry I haven't been that great a "courter" as it were. I know, I suck. And I am kinda seein someone now. But, I didn't choose her over you". Ok, really? We didn't even go on 2 dates within a 2 month period. You're seeing someone? NEAT, FANTASTIC, I wasn't interested in you like that at all anyway...

What is with the male gender and the need to express to every girl they have ever gone a date with/hung out with that they are SEEING SOMEONE? We don't care...in fact we are probably seeing somone ourselves, or really, in my case, seeing a number of people, but they just don't all know about it.

No comments: