The Blog Formally Known As: The Rants and Raves of Miss Tina Fabulous


Monday, April 06, 2009

An Ode to my brother, Matthew

I guess I'm behind in my blogging since my family has already blogged about this, but it's my turn to brag-- My little brother got his MISSION CALL!!

The whole thing was quite ironic-- I was able to attend conference on Saturday, and as I turned my phone on after the afternoon session, I had a few texts from my parents saying:

Mom: Guess what came today!
Dad: We are conference calling at 4:15 your time

[Note: Matthew lives in Hawaii as he is attending BYU-H, and the call was sent to my parents house. So mom and dad actually scanned his call to him in an email for him to read, without them looking at it themselves]

Well, good thing it was exactly 4:09 my time, and I was in the chaos of the conference center with 20,000 other people!! Once I got outside (which was actually much quieter than the inside of the conference center) I stood between the temple and the conference center, and intently waited for my brother to read his call.

He began ... Elder Hunt, you have been called to serve in the "wait... I can't read it" (we all begin thinking he can't pronounce his own mission call when he says) Salt Lake City, Utah--- uhhh silence. We can't believe what we just heard, and he can't believe what he just read!

"Dad, is this an April Fools joke?"

After all the commotion had died down, and we realized this was indeed his call, I told him "Hey Matthew, I'm walking the streets of your mission field!" I'm not sure if that helped.

Needless to say, Matthew is very excited to serve the Lord and the people of the Salt Lake City Mission. He will serve well, and we are so proud of him!

Oh, another piece of irony. We just found out Ashley gets released July 9. Matthew enters July 8.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is too funny. How weird that they are missing eachother by a day... Congrats matthew!!!

Dani said...

Crazy...and so funny! :)

andrea said...

tell matthew that the best missions involve large quantities of member support. (NAUVOO!!!) i love little humble missionaries. he will be so great.

love you too! andrea

Matt Olsen said...

You only know that feeling if you've experienced it yourself... I served in SLC and loved it!

Kyla said...

My cousin served in the exact same mission, and It was an amazing experience, he was able to meet the prophet! What an awesome mission call!! Congrats!